This Policy intends to communicate our obligations and processes around obtaining, storing and using personal information relating to past, present and prospective clients.
This Policy must be read in conjunction with any applicable terms and conditions relating to the use of our Services, including our Terms of Engagement.
What information do we collect about you?
The personal information that we collect about you will depend on the nature of your engagement with us, but may include:
- Contact information (name, phone number, email).
- Work information (job title, company, location).
- Identity information (passport or drivers licence number).
- Financial information (Inland Revenue number, bank account details, general ledger transactional information, performance information).
- Meeting notes or call recordings.
- Billing information (address for service, legal company name).
- Employment information (employment documents collected or collated by our HR external recruiting teams or Licensed Private Investigators).
Providing personal information is optional, but if you choose not to supply personal information to us on request, it may affect our ability to provide you with our services or to meet our legal obligations.
How do we collect this information?
Except as otherwise permitted by law, we will collect personal information:
- Directly from you when you provide your information to us or otherwise engage with us;
- From third parties in some instances, for example: Providers of identity verification or security, government agencies, such as Inland Revenue; credit agencies, employment referees.
Why do we collect this information?
- To conduct our business and provide you with our Services.
- To engage with third parties on your behalf.
- To provide you with information that you request from us.
- To verify your identity for legal compliance purposes, including compliance with the requirements of the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter Financing of Terrorism Act 2009.
- To communicate with you and notify you about changes to our Services.
- To carry out advertising and marketing campaigns.
- To update and enhance our services, including ensuring that content on our website is presented in the most effective manner.
Who do we share your information with and why?
We may disclose personal information to:
- Baker Tilly International and other firms that form part of the Baker Tilly network;
- Our professional bodies, including Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (“CA ANZ”) and CPA Australia ("CPA").
- Third-party providers to enable them to facilitate or provide certain supplementary services to you (see further information below on your right to opt out).
- The Financial Markets Authority or other regulatory bodies to which we are subject.
- Inland Revenue or other government departments to comply with our legal obligations and perform services on your behalf.
- Third-party service providers who we engage to assist us in providing services or perform functions on our behalf.
- Other third parties where we are required or permitted by law to do so.
We may share your personal information with other Baker Tilly International member firms where your engagement is international in nature, or to meet our legal and regulatory obligations in jurisdictions outside of New Zealand.
We may use other member firms to provide Services to us and you. These Services might include hosting and supporting IT applications, the provision of certain forms of insurance for member firms and clients, performing client conflict checks or identity verification checks (where required) and assisting with client engagement services.
We may store, process or back-up your personal information on servers that are located overseas (including through third-party service providers). By providing us with your personal information, you are consenting to the transfer and/or storage of your personal information in this way.
On occasion, we may use your personal information, such as your address or contact details, to provide you with industry information or to introduce you to additional services that we offer. We may, for example, send you written or electronic communications, electronic newsletters and/or invitations to events. If you do not wish to receive this type of information, you can opt out by contacting us at email@example.com, or clicking the Unsubscribe link in our digital newsletters.
We will not sell your personal information to any third-party organisation for marketing or advertising purposes.
How do we keep your data secure?
We take reasonable steps to maintain personal information in a secure environment to prevent unauthorised use. Wherever possible, we take reasonable steps to ensure our third-party service providers are bound by contract to do the same.
Only Baker Tilly Staples Rodway staff and third parties we engage can access this information through password-encrypted logins for each service. If we disclose your personal information to a foreign entity outside of New Zealand, we will ensure that the foreign entity is subject to privacy laws that overall provide comparable safeguards to those in the Privacy Act 2020 or is otherwise required to protect the personal information in a way that overall provides comparable safeguards to those in the Privacy Act.
Cookies and other tracking/analytics tools
Our website uses “cookies” and Google Analytics 4. These help us better understand how visitors are engaging with our website.
Generally, information collected by cookies and other similar technologies is not personal information unless:
(a) Applicable laws require us to treat it as personal information; and/or
(b) That information is combined with other personal information we hold about you.
How to access, update, delete, transfer your information
You have the right to request access to, and correction of, any personal information that we hold about you in accordance with the Privacy Act, including the right to request that a statement be attached to your information noting the correction sought if we do not agree to make such a correction. If you would like a copy of your information or to have it updated, please contact your usual Baker Tilly Staples Rodway advisor.
We will always do our best to keep any personal information we hold about you accurate and up to date before we use it but do rely on you to notify us as soon as possible of any updates or changes to your personal or contact details.
Changes to this Policy may be necessary to reflect business or technology changes, or legal developments. If we change this Policy, we will post a revised version on our website and such changes will take effect from the date they are posted. If you do not agree to these changes, you will no longer be able to access or use our Services.
Questions, complaints, requests or queries
If you have any questions or requests about privacy-related issues or wish to make a complaint about the handling of your personal information, please contact your Baker Tilly Staples Rodway advisor or privacy officer.
If we cannot satisfactorily resolve your concerns about our handling of your personal information, you may contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner at: PO Box 10-094, The Terrace, Wellington 6143, phone 0800 803 909. http://privacy.org.nz/.
Footnote: Baker Tilly Staples Rodway Entities
- Baker Tilly Staples Rodway Auckland Limited
- Baker Tilly Audit Limited
- Baker Tilly Staples Rodway Audit Limited
- Baker Tilly Staples Rodway Christchurch Limited
- Baker Tilly Staples Rodway Hawkes Bay Limited
- Baker Tilly Staples Rodway Tauranga Limited
- Baker Tilly Staples Rodway Waikato Limited Partnership
- Baker Tilly Staples Rodway New Zealand Wellington
- Baker Tilly Staples Rodway Limited
- Baker Tilly Staples Rodway Taranaki Limited