What information do we collect about you?
The type of personal information that we collect about you will depend on the nature of your engagement with us, but may include:
- Contact information (name, phone number, email).
- Work information (job title, company, location).
- Identity information (passport or drivers licence number).
- Financial information (IRD number, bank account details, general ledger transactional information, performance information).
- Online/digital information through Google Analytics (pages viewed, blogs read, mobile/computer, contact form submissions). More about our collection of online information is set out below.
- Offline interactions with us (meeting notes, call recordings).
- Billing information (address for service, legal company name).
Providing personal information is optional, but if you choose not to supply personal information to us on request, it may affect our ability to provide you with our Services or to meet our legal obligations.
How do we collect this information?
Except as otherwise permitted by law, we will collect personal information:
- directly from you when you provide your information to us or otherwise engage with us;
- from third parties in some instances, for example:
- identify verification or security providers
- government agencies, such as the Inland Revenue Department
- credit agencies
- employment references
- digital analytic and content management companies such as Google Analytics.
Why do we collect this information?
We collect your personal information:
- To conduct our business and provide you with our Services.
- To engage with third parties on your behalf.
- To provide you with information that you request from us.
- To verify your identity for legal compliance purposes.
- To communicate with you and notify you about changes to our Services.
- To carry out advertising and marketing campaigns.
- To update and enhance our Services, including ensuring that content on our website is presented in the most effective manner.
- To comply with our legal obligations, including under the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter Financing of Terrorism Act 2009.
Who do we share your information with and why?
We may disclose personal information to:
- Baker Tilly International and other firms that form part of the Baker Tilly association
- Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (“CA ANZ”)
- Third party providers - to enable them to facilitate or provide certain supplementary services to you (see further information below on your right to opt out)
- the Financial Markets Authority or other regulatory body to which we are subject
- the Inland Revenue Department or other government department to comply with our legal obligations and perform Services on your behalf
- third party service providers who we engage to assist us in providing Services or perform functions on our behalf.
- other third parties where we are required or permitted by law to do so.
Baker Tilly Staples Rodway New Zealand Limited is a New Zealand company and a member firm of the Baker Tilly International network of independent member firms. Member firms are located around the world.
We may share your personal information with other member firms where your engagement is an international engagement, or to meet our legal and regulatory obligations in jurisdictions outside of New Zealand.
We may use other member firms to provide services to us and you. These services might include hosting and supporting IT applications, the provision of certain forms of insurance for member firms and clients, performing client conflict checks or identity verification checks (where required) and assisting with client engagement services.
We may store, process or back-up your personal information on servers that are located overseas (including through third-party service providers). By providing us with your personal information, you are consenting to the transfer and/or storage of your personal information in this way.
On occasion, we may use your personal information, such as your address or contact details, to provide you with industry information or to introduce you to additional services that we offer. In this regard, we may, for example, send you written or electronic communications, electronic newsletters and/or invitations to events. If at any time you do not wish to receive this type of information, you can opt out by contacting us at email@example.com, or by clicking the unsubscribe function included in any of our marketing communications.
We will not sell your personal information to any third party organisation for marketing or advertising purposes.
How do we keep your data secure?
We take reasonable steps to maintain personal information in a secure environment to prevent unauthorised use. Wherever possible, we take reasonable steps to ensure our third party service providers are bound by contract to do the same.
Only Baker Tilly Staples Rodway staff and other third parties we may engage can access this information through password encrypted logins for each service. If we disclose your personal information to a foreign entity outside of New Zealand, we will ensure that the foreign entity is subject to privacy laws that overall provide comparable safeguards to those in the Privacy Act 2020, or is otherwise required to protect the personal information in a way that overall provides comparable safeguards to those in the Privacy Act.
Cookies and other tracking/analytics tools
Our websites use “cookies” and other tracking and analytics tools (e.g. Google Analytics) to make the site as easy for you to use as possible and helps us better understand user behaviour, which allows us to improve our websites and Services for your benefit.
Generally, information collected by cookies and other similar technologies is not personal information unless:
(a) applicable laws require us to treat them as personal information; and/or
(b) that information is combined with other personal information we hold about you.
How can you access/update/delete/transfer your information?
You have the right to request access to and correction of any personal information that we hold about you in accordance with the Privacy Act, including the right to request a statement to be attached to your information noting the correction sought if we do not agree to make such a correction. If you'd like to ask for a copy of your information or to have it updated, please contact us at:
Questions, complaints, requests or queries
If you have any questions or requests about privacy related issues or wish to make a complaint about the handling of your personal information, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If we cannot satisfactorily resolve your concerns about our handling of your personal information, you may contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner at:
- PO Box 10-094, The Terrace, Wellington 6143;
- Phone: 0800 803 909.
Last updated: September 2021
Footnote: Baker Tilly Entities
Baker Tilly Staples Rodway Auckland Limited
Baker Tilly Staples Rodway Audit Limited
Baker Tilly Staples Rodway Taranaki Limited
Baker Tilly Staples Rodway Wellington Limited
Baker Tilly Staples Rodway Hawkes Bay Limited
Baker Tilly Staples Rodway Tauranga Limited
Baker Tilly Staples Rodway Christchurch Limited
Baker Tilly Staples Rodway Waikato LP